Results


Sleep. I love, love sleep! Anyone who has known me for an extended amount of time will tell you that I sleep a lot. I pulled one all-nighter in college. Not because I was so ahead of the game but because I was willing to take a lower grade to get more hours of sleep. Sleep for me pushes the restart button. It makes my day new, even if it means taking a nap in the middle of the day.

That's how I felt today, in need of a restart button. I took a nap this afternoon and I woke up feeling like this morning was a distant memory. It made it feel like God was pushing the restart button on my life. The results today were better than what I could have hoped for and God used taking a nap to wipe away all the anxiety from the days before.

This morning we went to the hospital to get the results. We were pretty sure that it wasn't going to be good since the scan the day before didn't go well at all! What we were told to hope for is functioning thyroid nodules, or "hot" nodules. If they were functioning it meant a 90% chance it WASN'T cancer. If the nodules weren't functioning, it meant that it was a much more concerning picture of cancer. When they did the scan, nothing was functioning. NOTHING. They couldn't even see my thyroid on the scan let alone the nodules. So, of course what else do I think, " Not functioning nodules=cancerous nodules. Therefore, not functioning entire thyroid=entire cancerous thyroid." 5 steps closer to an answer of cancer, or so we thought. Amazing the conclusions that our mind can turn to.

                                         (That's not my actual scan. Mine was more all blank)

We are in the results room, ready to hear bad news, really bad news. The doctor then proceeded to tell us that my scan was a mystery to them since my blood work should have shown something totally different. She really did not have answers but proceeded to talk about next steps. All of those next steps started sounding more and more emergent. "We're probably looking at surgery in the next couple of weeks." Again the comment came out, "If you could pick a cancer, you would want to pick this one." If you're a doctor FYI, don't ever say having cancer and you picking or choosing which type in the same sentence. That's like asking me which child I love best! Stupid and impossible thing to say. We were asking all sorts of cancer questions.

We were about done when she wanted to do a physical exam of my neck. My neck is super sore...that's the symptom that made me go to the doctor in the first place, a month and a half ago. When she touched my neck, I could see the lightbulb go off for her. She said, "Forget everything I just said. I believe I know what we are dealing with." God did it. He turned on the switch for this doctor and she went on to tell me that she believes I been experiencing the onset of an autoimmune condition called Hashimotos disease. Google it. Not emergent and very treatable. We went from 60 to 10mph in a matter of seconds.

So, now we get to praise God through the good news and not the bad news. We would have praised Him either way, but let's just be honest and say that it's much easier to praise Him when you get good news. But, let me be very clear...He is worthy of praise in the bad news as well!!!

So, continue to pray friends. Continue to anticipate and see what God is going to do through this. We are blood tests away from learning why my thyroid is malfunctioning but we have yet to figure out why it is producing these nodules. It is much less likely cancer but we will find out more of our options and plan of treatment when we follow up with the doctor in 2 weeks.

What I'm learning from this...God deserves our praise. When? In the times of waiting, in the times of bad news, when I don't understand where He has me, when there is good news, when death may be before me, when nobody else knows what to do either. How do I know this? Jesus, friends. God gave me Jesus to secure the hope that I have. He gave me His only child, in my place, dying on my behalf. What else would he withhold? Why would he belittle His Son's sacrifice by giving me anything less than good? When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay. Let us all be Christian who can walk this road, fight this fight with guts because of Him.


post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His second coming

Mold and Moving

Our heart for Moses' heart