His second coming


This is the season of Advent, a season of waiting. This is a time of year where in the the tradition of the church we visibly remind ourselves that we are waiting for Jesus to come again. His first coming as a baby was to take care of sin. His second coming that we long for, that we remember is ahead of us, is for those who eagerly wait for him.

I read this phrase this morning, "so, Christ, have been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."

I don't know why I am surprised sometimes that reading God's word so poignantly aligns with the thoughts I have been battling. Particularly, "God, my friend is struggling. Right now, her life is not easy and she is watching her child suffer. Why?"

This question I have of, "Why?" has been treated so differently from so many different people.  They have told me that question is so hard and it will drive you insane. Don't dwell on it too long. They have told me, no one knows why. They have told me, there are millions of reasons why. And, the list goes on. Quite honestly, I wonder if this question scares people who feel like they have to have the answers. I know it does me.

Then, I read the aforementioned verse from Hebrews and wonder if in it there is an answer to a why question. Let's look at it again. When Jesus comes this second time, this time that we are anticipating in Advent, he is coming for those who are waiting for him. Here is a question, why would they be waiting for him?

I have heard other authors say that we are living in the now but not yet period of redemption. We have seen the first coming where he has handled sin, but we haven't seen the completion, the eradication of sin and its effects. It's a time of his redemption being here, but not yet.

There are many reasons why people long for Jesus to return. There is injustice endured for so long. There is a dream to see a loved one again. There is a longing for intimacy that will be fulfilled in the presence of Jesus. There will be no more disobedient children. There will be no more tears, no more death, no more injustice, no more separation. What I see wrapped up in all of these desires for a return of Jesus is that they all come through an enduring of suffering. This longing for Jesus is often born out of adversity.

Maybe this morning that is the answer to one "why" today? Suffering increases our longing for the return of Jesus and it is those who are waiting for him, who he is longing to return for. He is waiting to return for those who are crying out, "Come Jesus. Fix all the brokenness. Heal the sick child. Make the sickness and pain never return."

Advent is a season for the suffering. He will come again.
post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mold and Moving

Our heart for Moses' heart