What I've Observed About North Carolina

So, we've been in Winston-Salem for a little over two weeks now and we have seen God be good to us in so many ways. First, we had never seen our apartment before we decided to rent it, but it turned out to be awesome and in a great location. Second, we loved having both of our parents here to help us move in and get settled. We would definitely be living out of boxes still if it wasn't for all their help. Thanks Moms and Dads! Next, we have some great neighbors that we are excited to get to know more and share the love of Jesus. One of the downstairs tenants is in college going to med school, so it is fair to say that we never see him. However, he is also excited about working on getting a six pack with Dan. I'm sure that they'll be working out together and eating their eggwhites over a cup of water. The other one lives with his brother and works with underprivileged youth in the downtown area. He has a great heart to love on them and we're excited to partner with him in whatever ways that we can.

Those are just some of the ways that we've seen God's grace on us. Besides seeing those amazing things about our North Carolina move, I've also noticed a few other things about living in the Bible belt and in the south. For your reading enjoyment, I've decided to bullet them.

1. "-ing" words don't exist. It's not "waiting." It's "waitin." I've started to pick up on that a little bit, but I'm trying hard not to pick up an accent. However, it may be inevitable.

2. A man walking down the freeway in overalls with his shirt off is not an uncommon appearance. I'm pretty sure you may get shot if you did this in Phoenix.

3. When you get together to have a BBQ, people will think that you're going to have pulled pork with BBQ sauce, not just hamburgers and hot dogs. We can't say BBQ...we have to say grillin.

4. I have a new found love for sweet tea. That's a no brainer :)

5. People just aren't as concerned about their appearance here. It's actually quite settling to know that there are so many less people worried about what you're wearing. It makes it seem silly.

6. Hannah's name has added a prefix. She is now Miss Hannah.

7. Driver's licenses don't last 40 years. The longest you have a license is 8 years and you pay $4 for every year.

8. Southern hospitality is a real thing. People are so welcoming. We just pray that is done for the glory of Jesus and not for the sake of moralism.

9. There is a church on every corner, nook and cranny. Winston-Salem has more churches per square mile then any city in the nation. This brings a somber sense to our mission here. We, no doubt, recognize that not all of those that claim the name of Jesus are truly one of His disciples. Saint on Sunday and sinner Monday thru Saturday. We want to share with people that we're sinners every day of the week and saved only by the grace of Jesus, not our church or church activities.

With some of those observations in mind, pray for us! Pray that God uses us and our backgrounds for the glory of Jesus in this city. Pray that the word of God would go forth in power to the people of Winston-Salem. Pray that we continue to develop true community with not only people at 121 church, but our neighbors. Pray that God gives us the grace to speak truth into people's lives that have already been spoken a distortion of the truth. Pray for me as well at 121 church. I'm going to start working with the staff at 121 to help get their children's ministry organized. I love doing organizational projects like this, but have no idea what I am doing. I just have a willing heart and I love my child. Plus, I'm really starting to love the kids of 121. Pray that my desire to lead wouldn't bulldoze anyone. Pray that I have a humble heart of service to the parents and children of 121 church. We love you and miss you all!!

post signature

Comments

Kristen said…
YAY! 1) God is Good!!! and 2) You're blogging!! (Keep it up!)

So excited for you guys and I hope to visit this magical place some day....maybe I'll reconsider moving to Denver when I get back and head to the South.

Love ya and let's talk soon!
K-Mama said…
So glad you've updated your blog!!!!!! I have checked it for so long and was going to give up (haha). Will be praying!

Now put up some pics of that Miss Hannah! :)
Lees said…
WHOO HOO!!! You are blogging... makes me feel like I can keep up with you... I miss you... Sorry we couldn't make it to your party... no sitter - story of our lives...

Can't wait to watch you in NC...
Lees

Popular posts from this blog

His second coming

Mold and Moving

Our heart for Moses' heart